108. How to Love Someone You Disagree With
Powered by RedCircle
Recently, on Instagram, I got asked the following question, “How do you handle friendships and disrespect in this political turmoil and pandemic.” I shared the slide above to answer it, but I had so many more thoughts swirling in my head as I wrote the answer that I realized it would be the perfect topic to tackle more in-depth in a podcast episode.
So this week on the podcast, Jesse and I share what we have learned and are learning about how to love someone you disagree with and how not to ruin relationships because of differing opinions.
In addition, we talk about new recipes Jesse is trying using duck, granola and Greek yogurt, wearing real PJs, my habit tracker, a book I loved recently, a funny story about mispronouncing words, and what Jesse has been reading.
In This Episode:
[01:47] Duck poppers are saving Jesse’s life this week. They were so good!
[05:38] Granola and greek yogurt are saving my life these days.
[07:08] Why I’ve been trying to wear real pajamas to bed.
[09:18] I posted about my habit tracker and came to find out… Jesse was right.
[11:35] I have been reading/listening to We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter.
[15:53] A quick story about how I used to pronounce Yosemite.
[16:58] Jesse has been reading SOG by John Plaster.
[17:53] The question that inspired this episode.
[19:27] There is so much fear circulating in the world causing us to feel reactionary.
[21:06] Then to add on top of the fear is the nature of conversations on social media.
[23:28] We often lose so much context and empathy by not having face-to-face conversations.
[26:22] Why you need to listen with a heart to understand the other person.
[28:07] Don’t make sweeping generalizations.
[30:00] Always remember to care about the person more than you care about their opinion.
Links and Resources:
- My Habit Tracker
- We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
- Libby App
- The 52 Books I Plan to Read in 2021
- SOG by John Plaster
- Better Habits: 5 Steps to Start & Stick With Them
- Sign up for the Hot Deals Email List
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: [email protected]
How to Listen to The Crystal Paine Show
The podcast is available on iTunes, Android, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can listen online through the direct player here. OR, a much easier way to listen is by subscribing to the podcast through a free podcast app on your phone. (Find instructions for how to subscribe to a podcast here.)
Ready to dive in and listen? Hit the player above or search for “The Crystal Paine Show” on your favorite podcast app.