I’ve been talking with and hearing from so many people who are tired, weary, and just wanting to shut down. If you can relate to this, you will definitely want to listen to this week’s podcast episode! I’m talking with Lisa Whittle, the author of the brand-new book: The Hard Good: Showing Up for God to Work in You When You Want to Shut Down. Lisa answers honestly the questions I ask about what to do when we are exhausted and burnt out and life feels hard and overwhelming. We discuss why she believes that hard can also be good, how to know you are shutting down, and how to reverse course when you want to give up. In addition, we have a really candid conversation about how to respond when someone we know gets that opportunity or thing that we really, really want. Lisa’s words on this are powerful and if you only listen to this part of the podcast (starting at minute 18), please listen to this. I hope that our conversation encourages you, gives you hope, and helps you feel less alone.
In This Episode[00:39] – Welcome Lisa Whittle to The Crystal Paine Show — she shares who she is and why she wrote this book. [04:15] – We talk about the tension in the title of her book. How is it possible that something that can be both hard but also good? [09:27] – How do you know that you’re shutting down? What can someone do who feels stuck and doesn’t see anywhere else to turn? [14:52] – “A lot of us are alive but we are not living.” Lisa explains more what she means by this. [16:53] – When we are really vulnerable with a friend, our relationship deepens because we’ve shared our hearts, and I think it is the same in our relationship with the Lord. [18:15] – We talk about what it looks like to cheer for someone who gets that thing you really want and how hard and discouraging that can be. [23:36] – “She is not the opponent, jealousy is.” Powerful words on comparison from Lisa. [25:48] – We end the podcast with Lisa speaking to the woman who is in the hard right now and it doesn’t feel like there’s any good.
Links & Resources
- The Hard Good: Showing Up for God to Work in You When You Want to Shut Down by Lisa Whittle
- Lisa Whittle on Facebook
- Lisa Whittle on Instagram
- Lisa Whittle on Twitter
- Love-Centered Parenting
- 10 Days to Be a Happier Mom
- Sign up for the Hot Deals Email List
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: [email protected]