“How did you manage to read 15 books in January?”
I’ve gotten this question over and over again the past two weeks. Truth be told, I had to stop and ask that question myself when I got to the end of January and realized I had finished 15 books in the first month of the year!
As I reflected on the last month, I realized that there are 4 tweaks I made in January to how I approached reading that made a big difference… even though they were really minor tweaks.
How I’m Fitting In More Reading Time
1. I stopped answering Instagram messages (or getting distracted on Instagram) while on the treadmill and instead I use 20-30 minutes of my walking time each day to read a book.
2. I began setting weekly reading goals that I’m posting on MoneySavingMom.com. This has been highly motivational for me to set weekly goals instead of yearly goals.
3. I started listening to audiobooks again and try to get in at least an hour of audio listening while cleaning, cooking, getting ready in the morning, or driving by myself.
4. I revived family read aloud time again — something that we’d let go of in recent years.
In this episode, I share more about how I’m making each of these tweaks happen and the way that they are making such a difference in our life.
In This Episode:
[02:46] I’ve been reading Originals by Adam Grant and had several takeaways.
[07:38] We recently got a couple of suggestions from our listeners. Listen in!
[09:16] Jesse has been geeking out on our new soundboard.
[11:15] My Spalding leggings have been saving my life.
[13:01] I dive into how I read more. Specifically how I read 15 books in January.
[15:53] How reading instead of scrolling Instagram has made such a difference.
[17:32] My practical suggestions for fitting in more audiobook listening.
[20:12] Why (and how!) we started prioritizing family reading time again.
[22:55] The difference that tracking my reading and setting weekly reading goals has made for me.
[24:27] Bonus tip: How reading multiple books at once allows me to read more quickly too.
Links and Resources:
- Originals by Adam Grant
- The Birth Hour Podcast
- Moment Screen Time Control App
- Rode RodeCaster Pro
- Spalding Leggings
- 21-Day Leggings Challenge by Get Your Pretty On
- Carry a Big Stick by George Grant
- My Instagram account (I’d love for you to follow me there! I usually hop on at least a few times per day and share behind-the-scenes photos and videos, my grocery store hauls, funny stories, or just anything I’m pondering or would like your advice or feedback on!)
- Have feedback on the show or suggestions for future episodes or topics? Send me an email: [email protected]
How to Listen to The Crystal Paine Show
The podcast is available on iTunes, Android, Stitcher, and Spotify. You can listen online through the direct player here. OR, a much easier way to listen is by subscribing to the podcast through a free podcast app on your phone. (Find instructions for how to subscribe to a podcast here.)
Ready to dive in and listen? Hit the player above or search for “The Crystal Paine Show” on your favorite podcast app.